Senior Benefits Attorney
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 69,000 pilots at 39 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Sr. Benefits Attorney for our office in Tysons (McLean), Virginia. The Sr. Benefits Attorney builds and maintains relationships with pilot governing boards, councils, and committees, as well as with the airline benefits professionals and outside consultants and advisors; handles complex benefit issues; and, works in a fast-paced, collaborative culture, supporting pilot groups on issues that encompass the entire range of employee benefits matters, including defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, health and welfare benefit plans, and employee fringe benefit plans.
- provides legal support to pilot groups on benefit matters;
- assists in negotiating pilot retirement, healthcare, and welfare benefits;
- drafts language for collective bargaining agreements and other agreements with employers relating to benefits issues;
- drafts, reviews, and analyzes pilot retirement, healthcare, and welfare benefit plans for compliance with the collective bargaining agreement(s) and applicable law;
- reviews and analyzes proposed legislation affecting pilots' retirement, healthcare, and welfare benefits;
- drafts, reviews, and makes recommendations with respect to agreements between ALPA and its insurers, brokers, and other service providers;
- interprets retirement, healthcare, and welfare benefit plan language and related documentation in connection with benefit disputes and testifies as a subject matter expert (SME) in grievance arbitrations;
- conducts legal research and analysis and investigates issues relating to benefits matters;
- prepares articles summarizing case law and legislation relevant to pilot benefits;
- makes presentations to national committees, pilot groups, and other ALPA staff; and,
- keeps abreast of legal, legislative, and administrative developments in employee benefits
Local, national, and international travel, at times on short notice, is required: up to 35%.
ALPA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in a safe workplace. We prohibit discrimination, harassment and harmful behavior of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or other protected characteristics as outlined in federal or provincial laws. We highly value everyone and all are encouraged to apply, including minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an approved school of law required.
- Member in good standing of the Bar.
- Ten (10) years of legal experience in employee benefits practice required, twenty (20) or more strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of ERISA and the benefits sections of the Internal Revenue Code and other federal statutes to the extent they relate to employee benefits, e.g., ADEA, ADA, USERRA. At management discretion, significant and in-depth, directly applicable, experience may be substituted for some of the above requirements.
- Knowledge of the design and operation of retirement, healthcare, and welfare benefits.
- Superior legal and analytical skills, with the ability to select the most effective and practical solution to complex benefits issues.
- Ability to demonstrate confidence and executive presence in business transactions.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to organize and coordinate long-term projects.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and use independent judgment to formulate decisions and/or solve problems, under time pressure and urgent conditions.
- Ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines, and manage complex projects in an ever-changing environment.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and be comfortable advising senior management and key pilot groups.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office and the local metropolitan area, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and internationally). Also includes occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
ALPA offers competitive salaries with terrific benefits, including:
- 401k Plan with Non-Elective Employer Contribution of 11% plus 2% into a Market-Based Cash Balance Plan after 180 days of employment. No employee contribution required! The 401k plan includes a Roth option and 4-year vesting schedule.
- Generous health care benefits on day one – PPO, Kaiser (where available), and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
- 15 days paid vacation and 12 holidays per year plus 2 volunteer days per year;
- Generous sick and bereavement leave;
- Competitive parental leave;
- Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts;
- Retiree health plan;
- Education Assistance Program; and,
- Optional benefits including pet insurance, excess life insurance, legal plan, and qualified transportation fringe benefits, where available.
Relocation Not Provided